94 NO REVERSE

1994 Acura Integra

1994 Acura Integra 4 cyl Automatic 206k miles

I have a 94 Integra that when you put it into reverse, it acts like it is in neutral and wont back up at all. I have been told it might be the filter and tranny fluid, or the solenoids are bad, Or the transmission is going bad. What is it?
Monsterbug99

Hi Monsterbug99,

Yes, the trans is on its way out. I believe the 4th speed should be slipping as well.

Possible causes when vehicle moves in all gears except " R" " Defective Or Improperly Adjusted Shift Cable
" Defective Or Worn Reverse Gears
" Defective 4th Clutch
" Servo Control Valve Stuck
" Servo Valve Stuck
" Shift Fork Bent
" Worn Reverse Selector

My car backs up right when you start it and the engine is still cold. But once it has a chance to warm up, it doesnt work. Also, the car jerks when shifting into gears while parked. Is that possibly related to the reverse problem? I was also wondering if it has a filter in the transmission?

Monsterbug99
There is a strainer inside the transmission but it is a non serviceable part.

The harsh jerk could be due to bad engine mounts and a high idling speed.

When the reverse does not work after warming up, it could be a leak in the pressure lines or clutch and you would need to do a pressure test to confirm.