WILL NOT START WHEN HOT OUTSIDE.

1991 Acura Integra

1991 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

My Acura will start when it is cool out but when the temps go up it does not want to start. It will crank over fine but no fire. I put a spark plug into one of the wires when it would not start and had no spark on the plug when grounded to the engine. Replaced the fuel filter a week ago but no help. I was wondering if it was the coil or exciter.
Bob
Lawrenre

It sounds like your ignitor module is about to fail. It is located inside the distributor cap. Let me know how it goes.

Izap2
So when you say inside the cap you must mean it is located in the distributor, yes? Do I need to purchase a new distributor or can I get a igniter only?

Lawrenre
Sorry about the lack of clarity. Yes, it's on the distributor and you only need to buy the ignitor / ignition control module. You can purchase it at Auto Zone or Kragen Auto parts stores (you'll find it under ignition-control module). You may want to buy a Haynes repair manual for acura (1990 thru 1993) for detailed instructions on how to uninstall it and then install the new one.

Izap2
Hi lawrenre,

I would suggest checking the main relay first. Known to cause such problems. Honda ICM are rather reliable and seldom gives way.

Does the check engine light stay on more than 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned on?

I just had to resolder the Main Relay circuit board(under the dash to the left of the steering column). I used google to find a article that someone wrote. Google
integra main relay

Esjhj