CAR IDLES LOW?

1990 Acura Integra

1990 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 94000 miles

After I replace the fitv with a brand new one, my car still idles pretty low when warming up (under 1k). It feels like the car is about to stall/dies when standing still. Is it my IAVC? Or is it something else?
Rith

Hi Rith,

The FITV's purpose is to allow more airto get past the throttle plate to increase the idling speed.

If the idling speed is not increasing, then it could be something else that is at fault but not the IAC.

Do you have overheating and coolant losses problem?

Coolant seems fine, no overheating?

Rith
Remove the air cleaner hose and during cold start, check the lower port just immediately the throttle body for suction by closing it with your fingers.

If there are no suction and engine idling speed is not affected, then the FITV air passage is restricted. Check the FITV installation.

Ok, I'll give it a try. If the fitv air passage is restricted, how would you get it clear up? Do you think there might be air bubble in the coolant?

Rith
When there is insufficient coolant in the cooling system, it would not cause the cold start to be reduced, in fact the cold start would stay at a high rpm for a longer period and the engine would tend to surge when it is warming up.

Remove the throttle body and check the air passage for clogging, gunk would accumulate over time on the throttle and intake manifold air passages. Use carb claner and a wire to dig out the gunk if it is clogged.

I just realized that the coolant reservoir has been low after I filled it up. The leakage seems to be coming out of the top corner of the radiator. If I replace the radiator, will this fix my problem?

Rith
It would if low coolant is the cause of the problem. You mentioned the engine is idling very low during cold start, that is the opposite of what it should be doing and it most probably is due to other problems than low coolant.

Yes, I finally fixed the problem, it turned out it was the iacv, I had a faulty one, I replaced it with another one and it idles just fine now. Thanks for your help though.

Rith
You're welcome.

Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

How Do I check for coolant leakage? After a long drive, I see coolant leaking out of the corner of the radiator, and after a couple days of driving the reservior is half empty.

Rith
Page 1 of 2