BRAKES MALFUNCTION

1998 Acura EL

1998 Acura EL 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

Hi, the brake pedal in my car seems to start working when the brake is pushed in till it gets close to the floor. But, if I suddenly slam the pedal, it seems to grab right away. Could there be a problem in the brake pedal cable? Or is it a master cylinder problem? Or brake pads. I dont hear no squeeling or screeching coming from the brakes so I thought it could't be coming from the pads. Any suggestions?
Nusratm

With 135,000 miles, it could be a leaking caliper, pull them off and peel the protective rubber boot back a bit and see if any fluid drips out. The rears are more likley than the fronts to leak but any one of them could be, I've seen it on cars with 40,000.

Merlin2021
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was gonna say that when I do press down on the brakes, the car begins drift off to the left. Do you have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

Nusratm
When a car pulls to one side, the calipers or brake flex hoses are bad, the right side is not functioning as well as the left. Maybe it's the caliper with the leak.
From Honda Service News On all Honda models, if you're manually bleeding the brakes, make sure whoever's pumping the brake pedal pushes it only halfway to the floor. If the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor, you run the risk of driving the master cylinder secondary piston into any sediment or deposits that may have collected on the piston cylinder walls. If this happens, the piston seals can get permanently damaged and cause a leak. You can also avoid this problem entirely by using pressure bleeding equipment. This also appies to Acura.

Merlin2021
On all Honda models, if you're manually bleeding the brakes, make sure whoever's pumping the brake pedal pushes it only halfway to the floor. I think this is the right reason!

Johnparker99
Me too John!

Merlin2021
Hello guys!
I have the same issues concerning brake malfunction.
This forum really helped a lot.
Thank you for the information guys!

Ambotanne
Glad too help, thanks for the feedback.

Merlin2021