RAPID TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK

2001 Acura CL

2001 Acura CL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

We were driving on the highway about 75 mph for over an hour when suddenly the dash engine warning lights came on and then we saw white smoke coming from the engine. We pulled over immediately and found a severe leak (seeming to come from both sides underneath the car) that at first we thought was oil but later found it was transmission fluid. The car did start again upon trying but we immediately turned it off and got towed to the nearest dealer which happened to be Honda. Honda hooked it up to their diagnostics and the code indicated " incorrect gear while in drive". There had been no warning signs, nothing unusual in the way the car was driving, no transmission slippage, etc. I realize Cl's have a history of transmission problems and my transmission was replaced back about 50K miles or so ago with no problems since then. We get regular oil and air filter changes, new brakes, new tires but no other major work. I'm hoping I don't need a new transmission; perhaps this is a modulator valve issue-? Any thoughts and approximate prices for a fix would be most welcome. Thanks.
Drcyn2

Hi drcyn2,

Thank you for the donation.

Without a visual of the problem it is not possible to provide any estimate for the repairs.

Lets start with the good news part. The trouble code could be something that is not serious. When transmission fluids level is low, it can cause slippage and trigger the code. The leaks could have trigggerred it and rectifying the leak and topping up the fluids might solve the problem.

The bad news part. We do not know what went wrong causing the leak. It could be a burst hose or something has worked itself loose. Worse case scenario would be a broken housing.
A visual inspecrtion is required to confirm the cause of the fluid leak.

I had a similar problem so will take it in to get it looked at properly.

Djruben
Based on input and other research we requested that Honda change the transmission filter, re-top with fluids and then re-run the diagnostics. They did this and it came up clear, they took it for a test drive and all seemed fine. We picked it up yesterday and drove it back home (over an hour). All is fine. Seems the transmission filter was worn (I hadn't kept up with maintenance on this) and leaked/blew.$350 repair, much cheaper than a whole new transmission. Thanks for the advice

Drcyn2
Drcyn2,

Good to know that the problem is not very serious and you have the problem fixed.

Djruben,

Keep your fimgers crossed and hope it is only the filter and fluids.