WATER, CONDENSATION AND SEVERE ICE PROBLEMS ON THE INSIDE MY CAR WINDOWS EVERY WINTER. MANUFACTURERS HAVE INSULATED THE ROOF. IS THIS A REAL SOLUTION?

2010 Hyundai Elantra

I have a new car that I have only had for 14 months now. Every winter the inside gets FULL of ice on the windows. And I mean thick ice. It starts with condensation all over the windows in the fall, then turns to frost, then by December I wake up to thick thick ice covering all my windows on the inside nearly every day. After defrosting and running my car for 20 minutes, I have a stream of water running down the inside of my window that lands on my dash.
It is BAD. Long story short, the manufacturers know there is an issue and we want to pursue it. As a last resort they have insulated the roof of my car. Before putting in the insulation they took pictures as there were water drops and condensation all over the place up there. Now they have put in the insulation.
My question is, is that a real solution? Or a cover up? They haven't found the problem or where the moisture is coming from. Won't the moisture still get inside and get in the insulation and eventually cause mold or something similar? I feel like they haven't fixed the problem and this will come back to bite me later.

Tessab

Moisture was a common problem on all cars many years ago but not as bad as you descibe it. The most effective cure came when manufacturers designed the air conditioning to run whenever the defroster was on. That condenses the humidity out of the air before it gets blown onto the cold windshield where it would condense.

I have a 1980 Volare that had that problem on long winter trips. The car came without AC. I had a similar '78 LeBaron with AC. On that car, you could see the condensation evaporate from the windshield within five seconds of turning the defroster on. If your car has factory-installed air conditioning, check to see if the compressor runs when the defroster is selected.

Two things to have them do. First, check a/c drain tube, I believe you have a water leak somewhere in car, are floors wet at all or even damp. What they have to do is remove interior including carpet and water test it.\. I say this as I did water leaks for a multi car dealership and had to constantly do all kinds of cars and trucks. So what they did is a cover up. Good luck and let us know ho you make out. If they have a good tech at this they should find the leak in about an hour. Have them do same with trunk area too.

Kvn4
I agree with Kvn4 moisture not being drained away from the heater A/C will condense on the screen and freeze in extreme conditions, Here in Aust we do not have as a rule such cold conditions, but what we get in more humid conditions is when you turn on the A/C you can get a dense fog cloud coming out the vents.

Mhpautos
They have done several tests, I'm not sure what exactly. But I will clarify that they have done all these things you suggest. I know they took out all the seats and heated the car in some way and tried to get the moisture out. They had my car for a few days that time. As far as I know they have checked the A/C and vents and all these things. And they did a smoke test (?) To find a leak but didn't find one.
So I guess it's agreed this is more of a cover-up. But if the insulation does prevent any ice from building up on the inside, do you expect any problems could arise from having the roof insulated? Like I said, maybe mold or something? If there was that much water in the ceiling (I saw the pictures he took), would the insulation need to be replaced ever?
Thanks for all your answers!

Tessab
Ask to see ro ticket the tech used on back they punch time taken on repair and description of what they did to car, bet they wont show you. Lol. The whole lower interior including carpet has to be removed. Along with trunk interior. Are you carpets wet. Now it needs to be water tested really good, ive found leaks can take five minutes to five hours to appear. The people testing dont get paid for all their time spent on diag for test as the factory only gives crap time pay out for it. If they cant find leak you go to another dealer thats close, call hyundai factory, with the interior constantly wet you run risk of mold, early rust out of floors, corroded wires (which could short out), and other problems. Lemon law comes to mind also.I say this as I have been there done that for water leaks for over 12 years so I know what im talking about. Let me know how you make out as im interested in what the dealer had to say to you. What state are you in by the way

Kvn4
With the severe icing inside car tells me they didnt remove carpet or dry it out, I guarentee they didnt do a thorough diag.

Kvn4
I'm in Ontario, Canada. There is a process called CAMVAP, similar to a lemon law. It's a mediation process and they could decide to order the manufacturer to buy it back.

One of the conditions is to go through their head office/customer care center prior to filing for CAMVAP. So after the local hyundai shop couldn't find anything, we called head office. It was their idea to do the roof insulation.

They all know we know of this process and we have mentioned it to them. It's definately not something they would want to go through with, so I can't imagine them not doing the proper tests? All the parts and service done to my vehicle has been free of charge every time.

Now that they have done this roof insulation, it makes me feel like they're covering up and by the time more serious problems occur, they will be off the hook and it will be too late for me to go through with CAMVAP, and I'll be stuck with this car that has all these problems.
I totally agree it could lead to rust and corroded wires like you say! It's me and my mom dealing with this and I feel like they know how to string two women along. Now with this roof insulation working (on the surface of it all), I don't know what to say or do! I don't know if I can continue to go to CAMVAP if the ice doesn't reappear. And when we've asked them about the insulation causing future problems, they obviously just tell us that it will be fine.

Tessab
I cant see insulating the headliner would even do anything for even slowing the condensation in car but to make sound quieter when it rains. The interior has to be removed to find the leak as when warmer weather rolls around the jute under carpet is going to stink so bad you wont be able to sit in car for very long. You are correct to as they are stringing you along until warranty expires and then you are on your own with the problem. Does your car have a electric moon roof.

Kvn4
There WAS actually a small amount of ice on my front and back windows today. It has only been 5 days since the insulation was put in. So I'm not sure it's working to be honest. I guess I'm trying to get some feedback in case it does.

There is no sunroof.

I just attached 2 pictures the mechanic took. One showing some of the water they found in the roof, and then one showing the insulation he added.
Thanks for all your input!

Tessab
That has nothing to do with stopping a leak other than sound proofing roof. Bring the car back and demand it to be fixed this time or you will retain a lawyer for them to do a buy back. As I stated before the inside interior has to be removed including the trunk and water tested. DONT take any excuses for their BS. You are getting the run around as usual from any dealer as they dont give a sh$$ because they already got paid for car. Like I said the warranty pay is crap from factory to dealer for the repairs they submit and they just cant be bothered with the time to properly diagnose the problem because they are there to make money.

Kvn4
Page 1 of 3