HI, SHOULD A CAMBELT TENSIONER FAIL AFTER 3 1/2 YEARS ON A VRS (PETROL), PLATE, 38000 MILES, SERVICED AT DEALERSHIP, DRIVEN CAREFUL

2009 Skoda Octavia • 38,000 miles

Hi, should a cambelt tensioner fail after 3 1/2 years on a Skoda Octavia VRS (petrol), 2009 plate, 38000 miles, serviced at dealership, driven carefully?Skoda say this is what has failed and I require a brand new engine. Thanks
Cascarinomk@gmail.com

At the mileage on the vehicle, it should not have failed.

No, timing belts and components should last 80 to 100k. Do you have any warranty?

Unfortunately it's 6 months out of warranty. Skoda UK have said they will pay 70% as goodwill, dealership say new engine & fitting is £5320. 15 months ago the car was in off the road and I'm sure the dealership said it was a tensioner problem, now they are saying it was a "bearing saddle" fault. It was off the road for 5 days.

If it is a tensioner problem, it should not require an engine replacement. There should be something else that is wrong and since the vehicle had been regularly serviced by the dealer, you should be able to get them to give you a better goodwill on it.

They told me the tensioner had failed, therefore the timing etc etc. I'm in negotiations with the dealership & Skoda. Thanks for your replies.

Tensioner failed means the worse case scenario would be bent valves and that does not require engine replacement. Only the cylinder head repairs coupled with timing belt components.