SMAX INTERMITTENT STARTING PROBLEMS

2009 Ford S-Max • 6 cylinder FWD Manual • 11,000 miles

Hi there, my SMAX is 21 months old and in Feb 11 I had trouble starting it all of a sudden. Cold start but garaged overnight, it cranked 10-15 times before eventually firing and starting, this also happened when warm and at random times over the following 2 weeks.

It went into a Ford Dealer who found no fault on the computer and could help no further.

In March one morning, it happened again from cold start but garaged, 15 cranks then it started. Parked it for 2 hours, same again 10-15 cranks before starting, then again late that evening and the following morning, 15 cranks again then started.

Once again, its in the garage and still no luck finding the fault, and its not played up at all for them!

Please help/advise. Could it be the crank shaft sensor, but if that is the problem why wouldn't it register on the computer?

Thank you!
Pedgar75

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing