DODGE JOURNEY NOISE PROBLEM

2009 Dodge Journey • 65,000 miles

A few weeks ago, I noticed like a clanking sound coming from the front end of my car mostly just when I was sitting in park. Now it makes the clanking sound while in park, sometimes while driving, and also a loud like humming noise now also from front end when I drive, no matter if I am accelerating or stopping it makes this sound. What could cause this in this type of vehicle?

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.