TOYOTA PRIUS ENGINE PROBLEM

2008 Toyota Prius • 98,300 miles

Is the engine compartment supposed to be steam cleaned on a Prius hybrid car? My dealership decided, on their own, to steam clean the engine compartment and when I drove off, half way down the block, problem lights went on and it would hardly drive. I returned it immediately to the dealership. I am concerned that they damaged the electrical and computer components. A friend who is a mechanic told me that in his shop, they NEVER steam clean the engine compartment on a hybrid car for that reason. Your advice would help me greatly.

I went in for an oil change, inspection and brake change.

Thank you,

Karen --
Shopspeak

Steaming ANY computer controlled car can lead to problems, water gets into electrical connectors, Makes them dry em all out by seperating the connectors and blow them out with compressed air.

Merlin2021
Can damage come to the actual parts such as the computer and other components or is it just that the water getting into the connections damages the connections only?

Shopspeak
That depends on of the pcm got wet? I avoid getting water in the alternator and some cars have the pcm under the hood but they are pretty water tight.

Merlin2021