TICKING SOUND

2008 Lexus ES 350

2008 Lexus ES 350 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 30150 miles

I bought this car new in Jan.09. For the past 25,000 miles I've noticed a ticking sound that is occurring more frequently when the engin is cold or hot. I've had the oil changed by the Dealer every 5000 miles as per the recommended service guide. The Dealer tells me this is normal but it seems out of character for a Lexus. Also I don't hear the same noise on other ES 350 models. I think it is lifter related but I'm concerned with increasing frequency and amplitude. What is your opinion?
Thank you.
Gerald Horgan

They wont want to repair it under warranty when if they can stretch it out for awhile it becomes a " customer pay" ticket, which pays better, not saying that for sure but it happens. May want to have an independant shop take a look at it. Maybe even find one that specializes in Lexus, so they know what sounds it is supposed to make and not make. Then you can go back to the dealer with a little info to help them along in diagnosing it

Jack42
I was expecting an more informative answer. You have told me nothing about this car/engine that might be contiributing to the issue. I thought you would know something about this particular engine.

Gerald Horgan
3.5 V-6? There are several others with the complaint you describe, except that their noise goes away when warmed up. If your is still making it when warm, it is most likley a lifter/cam follower that isnt able to hold hydraulic pressure causing the ticking sound. Im not sure how much detail is needed, but I hope that clears it up a little more for you as far as what it may be. I also found some complaints about timing chain noise, you may want to address that as well with them

Jack42
I have some promising news. I just took my 2007 ES350 into Lexus service dept. With the infamous "piston slap" and they tried to tell me that it was normal and nothing was wrong. I pushed and threatened them and behold, they admitted that they now found a TSB that addresses this as a "ticking" noise related to a faulty camshaft. I lucked out as the repair is covered under my drivetrain warranty and it is going to take them 3-5 days to repair (probably open up the motor is my guess) but alas they addressed the issue! Score 1 pt. For the consumer.

Lexus_guy_808
Replacing the camshaft requires only the upper part of engine to be removed but is is not an easy job.

Hope that solves the problem.