MY IS COMPLETELY DEAD. THE KEY TURNS BUT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND AND NO WARNING LIGHTS, NOTHING COMES ON. THE KEY IS ALSO NOW STUCK IN THE IGNITION. WOULD IT BE THAT THE BATTERY IS COMPLETELY DEAD?? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPREC

2008 GMC Acadia • 47,000 miles

My 2008 GMC Acadia is completely dead. The key turns but makes absolutely no sound and no warning lights, nothing comes on. The key is also now stuck in the ignition. Would it be that the battery is completely dead? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

I was on vacation and the car sat for 1 week in my garage. When I went to start it, it was completely dead.
Snedley13

Start by charging the battery for an hour on the lowest setting. At four years old much of the battery's capacity is gone. A new one should be able to start the engine after sitting for up to three weeks.

Charging the battery seemed to fix the problem. Thanks!

Snedley13
Dandy. It should have held a charge longer than a week. You might want to consider having it load-tested at a battery store. Since GM started using their new design generators in 1987, repeat failures have been very common. The biggest thing you can do to avoid problems is to replace the battery. Two years old is kind of pushing it but by four years old they lose their ability to absorb and dampen the huge voltage spikes these generators produce. I haven't heard so much about problems on newer vehicles but that was a real common problem in the '90s. Replacing your battery now might avoid a generator failure in the near future.

Sounds like a good idea to replace the battery. Thanks for your help!

Snedley13