NO TRANSMISSION FLUID, HOW MUCH TRANSMISSION DAMAGE?

2008 Ford Fusion • 66,000 miles

Last night I "thought" I changed my oil. Unfortunately I actually drained my transmission fluid. This morning I figured this out too late. I drove my car about 300 feet and noticed it was acting funny, turned around to drive back up my driveway (a steep incline) and it nearly stopped. I got it to the top just barely but when I looked behind me there was a cloud of white smoke. Now I diagnosed the issue that I actually didn't drain the oil and was driving on ZERO transmission fluid. How much damage did I do? Did I just trash my entire transmission? How will I know? How many times will I have to flush the transmission fluid pan to get the friction pieces out due to no fluid?
Tommyjj

Add the fluid back to the trans and see what happens. I dont believe you trashed it but you definitely shortened its life.
I would be more concerned with the motor. If you added 5 extra quarts of oil, the pressure was probably very low from aeration. That's more the issue.