WHAT CAUSE SHUDDER IN THE STEERING WHEN MOVING SLOW AND TURNING?

2008 Ford Edge • 42,000 miles

I have an 2008 Ford Edge that has a shudder in the steering when moving slow and turning, for instance into a parking spot, and/or when stopped and turning the steering wheel.

It varies from a faint shudder to where the brake pedal shakes or the vibration is strong enough to feel on the floor boards.

Worth mention this shudder does not happens all the time. For instance, it NEVER happens when I maneuver the car in the first start in the morning. But after riding for like 5 min or so I can feel the shudder ( when stopped and turning the steering wheel or moving slow and turning). Also, when stopped, if I increase the RPM to 1500 or 2000 the shudder almost disappear.

The dealer already flushed the power steering fluid which didn't solved the problem.

Please, help me.
Mlaraujo

Honestly, it almost sounds like a warped brake rotor. Has anyone checked to see if a brake caliper is sticking causing the rotor to overheat and warp? Have you noticed more brake dust on one front wheel compared to the other?

I havent paid attention to the brake dust. Ill have a closer look tomorrow.

And indeed I'm pretty sure I need to machine my rotors because when I hit the brake, specially harder feels like I'm pulsing the brake pedal without doing it. Like the impression that the pad is not in contact with the rotor 100%.

Mlaraujo
That is what it is. When the rotor warps, the brakes are pushed in and out when you use them. Thus, you feel it.

Will the warped rotor cause my steering wheel to shudder even when I'm not using the brake pedal?

Mlaraujo
If they are warped enough, yes.

I'll replace the rotors and let you know.
Thanks!

Mlaraujo
I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Jacobandnickolas
The problem is still there after replacing the front rotors and pads. That pulsation I felt while breaking is gone.

Mlaraujo
I thought it would take care of both problems. The next thing is the power steering pump or rack and pinion. Both can get expensive. Is the vehicle still under warranty?

The only warranty left is the one which covers the powertrain.

The thing that intrigues me is why never ever happens when the engine is "night-long" cold. I was wondering if is related to the power steering fluid temperature or any hose/connection issues

Mlaraujo