TRUCK WONT START

2008 Dodge Ram • V8 4WD Automatic • 92,000 miles

How do I know if my fuel pump is bad on a 08 dodge ram 1500
Patrick111

For a start, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Has the fuel filter been changed recently? The filter maybe part of fuel pump assembly, haven't looked, yet. Engine cranking, check voltage and ground for the pump motor at the rear. If good voltage and ground with no pump action, suspect the pump.

Do you have any driveability issues?

Fuel filter has not been changed, its part of the pump, a little rough idle occasionally, to check voltage do I need to pull the plug off the pump and check it there, unsure what you mean by "at the rear" I will have to go get a fuel pressure gauge. Will take me a bit.

Patrick111
Yes, check at the fuel pump connector. Intermittent issues can be a pain to track, You have to test when problem is ongoing. An intermittent rough idle, I don't that is your pump.

I could not get the tester but I pulled the fuel line loose and tried it and no gas came out, I have about 10 volts at the pump. What do you think?

Patrick111
It did start for a few seconds after I reconnected the fuel line and the plugged the pump back in, but nothing after that

Patrick111
I was going to post a diagram. Orange wire is voltage, black is ground. I thought you had an intermittent idle? Are you saying the vehicle will not start? I got my wires crossed, somewhere?

No it wont start at all, it had rough idle for a month or so before wed. Thur morning it didnt start

Patrick111
The orange wire with red tracer has voltage, when cranking. Check the black wire for ground. For ground that goes to chassis, you can use a test lite connected to battery voltage, touch the terminal for the black wire, if the lite comes on, the ground may be ok. If it doesn't come on, faulty ground.

One black wire is for the sending unit, that isn't the one you want to check.

Lite came on

Patrick111