WHY WONT THE IGNITION TURN WHEN I GO TO START THE CAR?

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

This is the third or fourth time this has happened. The first few times the ignition locked up I played around with it for several minutes then it would pop lose. This time I have been messing with it for three and half hours and nothing. So far I have oiled the tumblers, turned the steering wheel back and fourth (which is now locked), and I made sure the car is in park. I'm about out of ideas so I was seeing if I could find some help online.
Melvindoo92

Pretty well known ISSUE. Most likely lock cylinder. Dealer may replace for no charge.

Fixitmr
Is there any other thing that could be causing this.

Melvindoo92
Nothing EASY.

Fixitmr
Nice
do you know where I can buy a lock cylinder.
Ive been lookin around online and it seems like these places never heard of a lock cylinder before

Melvindoo92
Just to add to this one a worn down key can cause your issue if its worn down try having a key cut from the vin number.If you have the key copied you will end up with a another worn out key.Also to find a cylinder if you dont want to get one from the dealer try http://www.parts.com

I talked to a guy from the dealership and he said it would be over 300 bucks for the lock cylinder and labor. So i'm going to do it myself, but first im going to try the new key. To get a key cut from the vin # I have to got through the dealership right? Or can I go to a locksmith?

Melvindoo92
Some of the of more up to date locksmiths can do that call around.Also i looked up your cylinder and they sell it at http://www.parts.com i dont know if it comes with tumblars most of the later model cylinders do.You would just have to code it to your key code.Make sure you get the key code for the ignition cylinder when you get your key cut.The tumblar closest to the key hole is position number 1.

Also you can try lightly tapping on the key hole opening with a hammer then try turning cylinder. If that doesnt work then try doing that with the new key if it still wont turn. Because if you cant turn the cylinder its going to make it much harder to replace the cylinder.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
Im sure ill have more questions in the future

Melvindoo92
Your welcome keep us posted on how it goes or if you have more questions.

Page 1 of 2