MY STARTED HAVE A LOUD WHINNING NOISE ON COLD START THEN THE STEERING STARTED WHINING. HAD POWER STEERING REPLACED IN 12/2010 IT IS NOW MAKING SAME NOISE. TOOK TO SHOP AND THEY SAID I NEED A NEW POWERSTEERING PUMP. DO THEY GO OU

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander • 72,000 miles

Is the power steering pump only reason for whining noise or could it be a hose or belt problem since pump was replaced a year ago
Judy loyal

It could be any belt driven accessory. The best thing to do is remove the belt and spin each accessory to see if you can hear where the sound is coming from.

Sounds like the power steering pump whining but it does not necessarily mean the pump is faulty. Try changing the power steering fluids and check for leaks. Any air in system can result in whining noises.

Could just be belt noise, with a spray bottle lightly mist the grooved side of the belt and listen for any change in noise, if noise goes away I would check the alignment of the belt and adjust accordingly

Jcmatters