ALTERNATOR REMOVAL - V6-3.3L

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 54,000 miles

I’m having trouble removing/replacing the alternator in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe V6-3.3L. I have already disconnected the battery and the electrical harness, and removed the drive belt and all of the mounting bolts per the Hyundai service website, http://www.hmaservice.com. The problem is that there isn’t enough room to lift the alternator out of the engine compartment now that it is detached from the engine and elecrical system. The instructions for removing the alternator on the Hyundai service website do not mention that anything else needs to be accomplished before removing the alternator out of the engine compartment. I have twisted, turned, and flipped the alternator every which way I can, but I still cannot squeeze it through the top or bottom of the engine compartment, or on the side by the passenger wheel well. I even removed the fan thinking that would give me enough room to pull it out but that did not work either. What am I missing? Any suggestions?
Whpacejr

I had the same problem with my Santa fe until I did the following.
Disconnect the upper rad hose and move out of the way.
Next I removed the air conditioning fan completely out of the vehicle. You will have to undo a bracket that is holding the lower rad hose to the fan before this is possible.
The air box located at the right hand side of the front support will also have to be removed. You will then have to manouver the fan completely out of the engine compartment.
Next disconnect the cooling fan and move it into the position that the air conditioning fan occupied. It will take some manouvering to do this but it will give you the space that you will need to remove the alternator. Next work the alternator out between the engine and the front support and you will be done.
I hope this procedure will work for you.

Wicko