WHY IS STEERING LOOSE WHEN ABS LIGHT IS ON?

2007 Hyundai Elantra • 85,000 miles

I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. The ABS light and check engine light stays on when the car is started. Sometimes they go out, sometimes one of them will go out. When they are both on or just the ABS light is on, the steering on the car is very loose. It normally doesn't stay loose though, I noticed once after I had been in a car wash the steering tightened back up and yesterday after I crossed a railroad it tightened back up. Seems like if you drive for a while the steering will tighen back up until the car is turned off then it is loose again. I have had it to a repair shop and they put a wheel sensor on it but that did not change what it was doing. They said they think it needs a ABS module which is 1100 dollars. I am not sure what to do. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Gdresbach

What trouble codes are you getting? From symptom description, seems a wire connection is loose somewhere andnot providing sufficient connectivity.

The trouble code would help to determine which circuit is at fault.

The trouble code was P0501 vehicle speed sensor which did not help when they replaced it. They also replaced the wheel bearing. The tech said he checked all of the wiring. Do you think it could have anything to do with the rack and pinion? Would it be connected to the ABS in any way?

Gdresbach
Is the trouble code still there?

Yes it is.

Gdresbach
A truble code means a circuit has a malfunction and it does not necessarily mean a sensor is bad. The wiring circuit, sensor or control modules are all possible causes. The mechanic replaced the sensor and bearing without confirming that they are bad indicates he is not up to the mark.

Since parts had been replaced and they did not solve the problem, you would need to test the wiring circuit and control module. Unplug the control module and look out for signs of contminations, water entry etc.

I believe you have the electronically controlled power steerign system and yes, the speed sensor can affect it as it is related.