FORD MUSTANG NOISE PROBLEM

2007 Ford Mustang • 63,000 miles

Today I noticed a squealing noise coming from the engine compartment of my 2007 Ford Mustang V6 4.0. The noise dissipated after a few minutes and I thought it was a loose belt (the serpentine belt was replaced 2 months ago) and the noise was similar. I drove approximately 12 miles for a work related issue and the noise started loudly but the dissipated when the car got up to 30-40 mph, but it was still there faintly. I drove approximately six miles home after work and the noise was louder. About 1/2 mile from my home I heard a thump from the engine compartment and thought the belt had snapped. The check charging system light came on so I assumed it was just the belt and the alternator wasn't charging. About three blocks from my home the temp gauge shot up to high. I was on a residential street driving 25 mph and drove home. Once home I let the car cool down and then saw that the harmonic balancer had fallen off the shaft and the rubber was shredded. I don; t know if there is any more damage, but can you advise me what I should expect. Thank you.

The harmonic balancer from 2007 Ford Mustang V6 4.0

Paulmonroy
As long as you didnt get the engine too hot and the pulley didnt break anything else when it came. Off your good to go with just replacing the balancer.