FORD FUSION ENGINE PROBLEM

2007 Ford Fusion • 65,000 miles

Greetings - hoping I can get some assistance here for my 2007 AWD Ford Fusion 3.0L. Suddenly last week I began to notice a large air "whooshing" or "sucking" noise coming from the engine bay, while inside the cabin. I cannot replicate the noise by revving the engine in park/neutral. In fact, the intensity of the noise does not appear to be at all correlated with engine speed.

It is absolutely correlated with the actual MPH speed I'm traveling. The faster I'm going, the louder it gets, regardless of engine speed.

I usually have my mechanic replace my air filter but I actually did it for the first time a little over a month ago (seems beyond simple). My thought was maybe I did something wrong or something came loose - I checked and everything seems rock solid with the intake/filter though.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks! I'm at 65K miles right now.

You have a electric air pump that turns on when the engine is cold the purpose for it is to warm up the catalytic convertor, this could of been the noise you heard, You can double check the work of installing the air filter again, make sure the sure duct from the air filter to the throttle body is secured

Randico