FORD F-150 CLUTCH PROBLEM

2007 Ford F-150 • 105,000 miles

I am having an a/c issue in that, I was traveling last weekend and for no reason the a/c compressor kicked off and would not restart. Thinking it through, I was sure that I had a low freon situation that caused the low pressure switch to kick in and shut off the compressor. So I stopped and bought a can of a/c recharge from Oreily, one with the cheap hose and gauge, and began adding freon, after a couple seconds of attaching the can the compressor kicked on and ran. It ran for a bit pulling down the can of recharge until it was all but empty. At this point I think the problem is resolved, unhook the hose and as soon as I did the compressor shut off again and would not restart. New thought, ive overcharged the system so I purged so off but to no avail. Now that I am back home I got my gauges and I have 70lbs of static pressure in the system, enough to run or at least try in my opinion.

So at this moment I have checked the low pressure switch and have power in and out of the switch, took a jumper wire directly to the compressor and it will engage and run as normal so long as I hold the jumper wire in place. Not sure how to test the high pressure switch. Did find the a/c clutch relay on the driver fender well and replaced it with a new part from Ford. All fuses are good and have been checked and triple checked. Im stumped and hoping that I can get some much needed help and avoid having to take it in to a shop.

What were the pressures when the compressor ran with your jumper?

Did you have power to the compressor when you were doing your testing>?