CHEVROLET UPLANDER PISTON PROBLEM

2007 Chevrolet Uplander • 115,000 miles

On my 2007 Uplander Van I need to replace the rear pads. I can't get the caliper depressed. What do I need to do? I bought a new screw ratchet but do you put pressure on it when you are trying to turn it?

You need a tool to screw them back in as the parking brake uses the piston as well. You will have to disconnect the parking brake from caliper.
Fig. 23: Rotating Piston In Caliper Body
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

1. Retract the brake caliper piston (2) into the brake caliper bore. Use a suitable spanner type wrench and turn the piston clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the brake caliper (Mac Tools DBC 25 C 2500 MA
Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set, or equivalent).
2. Align the indents on the piston face to match the pin on the back of the inboard brake pads.
3. Install the brake pad retainers into the brake caliper bracket.
4. Install the inboard and outboard brake pads into the brake caliper bracket insuring that the pad with the metallic wear sensor is placed on the inboard side of the bracket.
5. Slide the caliper onto the bracket insuring that the bracket guide boots are not damaged.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice .

6. Insert the brake caliper bolts.