WHY WOULD THE LEVEL IN MY SURGE TANK FOR MY ENGINE COOLANT SYSTEM GO DOWN AFTER THE CAR IS STARTED AND RUNNING?

2007 Chevrolet Optra • 42,000 miles

Noticed some faint smoke blowing in from the a/c vents pulled over and vented the surge tank and noticed that level for the coolant was at the bottom of the surge tank. No where close to the min/max level on the tank.
Cookiecrisp325

The level is supposed to move up and down with temp but if it's losing average or cold level, then you need to pressure test the system for leaks.

Wrenchtech
@wrenchtech. If there is a leak in the system, wouldnt there be a puddle or something because it goes down but I dont smell any engine coolant like when you open the radiator cap and if memory serves me correct engine coolant isnt one of those ordorless gas.

Cookiecrisp325
Don't expect a puddle because it can evaporate before hitting the ground. You need to pressure test the system to search for leaks.

Wrenchtech