CHEVY SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND SERVICE STAB

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

Suspension problem
2007 Chevy Avalanche V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 33800 miles

Everytime the temp is -10 or more my truck flashes the service 4 wheel drive warning. This has been going on for about 2 months. After a few hours and turning the vehicle off and on a few times (i.E. Going into a store and coming out) the warning no longer flashes. Four days ago I was coming to a stop sign and the sensors and warnings went bizerk. As I
came to a stop my engine light went on, traction control told me it was turning off and the service 4 wheel drive came back on. At that point I could no longer control my 4 wheel drive and I left it in 2 wheel drive the rest of the day. My engine light stayed on for two more days and has finally gone off but I am worried that I have a huge problem. Can you help?

I have an appointment with the Chevy dealer on Monday, but since I no longer have any warning lights I am worried they are just going to poo poo me away until my wrnty. Is expired and obviously I want it fixed while it is still covered! : )

Are these common problems and what should I have them look for?
FoxyMinx

Dont let the blow you off, there is a problem if the warning lights came on. If the Check engine light came on, it will have stored a trouble code in the computer, same for the ABS/Traction Control. They may not be able to duplicate the problem if it only happens when it is that cold outside, but they can use the info stored in the computer to make a repair

Jack42
My husband hooked up the machine (code reader) to the Avalanche and it said P0175, 'fuel too rich' (bank2) . How could the fuel being too rich be related to my stabilitrak?

FoxyMinx
The stabilitrak uses throttle control for part of its job, so if the PCM sees a problem with engine management, it could affect the system, since they all work together. Your code reader may not be able to access the ABS/traction control part of the PCM, so you may not be getting the whole picture, just what the hand-held code reader is capable of

Jack42
I am having a similar problem with my '07 Avalanche with 68,000 miles. When the truck is cold my Traction Control/StabiliTrac will turn off on its own and display "Service Traction Control and StabiliTrac". I used to leave my 4 wheel drive in auto but it started going in to 4 high when it was not needed so I have left it in 2 wheel drive. Now I am getting a check engine light and the code is reading misfire on Cylinder 3. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they could not figure out the problem so I will be returning it to them next week so they can continue troubleshooting. They are telling me that the misfire in Cylinder 3 is causing the other issues even though the Service Traction control and 4 wheel drive issues were happening months before the check engine light came on. They are telling me that they need to do a "leak down test" to determine if the engine is holding pressure. Does this sound right?

I am asking you because it looks like you had a similar problem a couple years ago and was hoping to hear what fixed (if it ever was fixed) your problem.

Sice24
I am having a similar problem with my '07 Avalanche with 85000miles. Traction Control/StabiliTrac will turn off on its own and display "Service Traction Control and StabiliTrac".I used to leave my 4 wheel drive in auto but it started going in to 4 high when it was not needed so I have left it in 2 wheel drive. This probleem is similar with a few owners, is there a solution for this problem

Avalanche1111
You both need to have the computer scanned for trouble codes, including those for the traction control system. The "low cost" handheld scanners available at the chain parts stores aren't able to scan the whole system and only display codes that are causing the CEL to come on.
A leak down test will determine whether or not the affected cylinder is able to hold compression. If not, then it will 'feel' to the computer as if there is a misfire.

Rivermikerat