TOYOTA SIENNA SENSOR PROBLEM

2006 Toyota Sienna • 55,000 miles

The Toyota Sienna is an AWD model. Received error code P0500 and the tranmission would slip in and out of gear. Per the repair manual, replaced the speed sensor NT located on the side of the transmission. The issue with the transmission has been resolved, but the check engine light and VSC light come on and then will go back out over a period of time. I performed continuity check between the ECM and the sensor and there wasn't any issues. Also, check the tire presure in all the tires and I am not having any issues with the speedometer. Not having any other issues with the car. Any advise on how to resolver this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Robertmoore0012

Are you still getting the same code?

Yes, I still have the same problem. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, been traveling. I would really appreciate any help that you could give me to solve this problem.

Thanks, Rob Moore

Robertmoore0012
DTC P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR "A"

DESCRIPTION

The speed sensor detects the wheel speed and sends the appropriate signals to the skid control ECU. The skid control ECU converts these wheel speed signals into a 4-pulse signal and outputs it to the ECM via the combination meter. The ECM determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals.

The ECM assumes that the vehicle is being driven when the transmission counter gear indicates more than 300 rpm and over 30 seconds have passed since the park/neutral position switch was turned OFF. If there is no signal from the vehicle speed sensor with these conditions satisfied, the ECM concludes that the vehicle speed sensor is
malfunctioning. The ECM will turn on the MIL and a DTC will be set.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE
HINT: Read freeze frame data using the intelligent tester or OBD II scan tool. The ECM records vehicle and driving condition information as freeze frame data the moment a DTC is stored. When troubleshooting, freeze frame data can help determine if the vehicle was running or stopped, if the engine was warmed up or not, if the air-fuel ratio was LEAN or RICH, and other data from the time the malfunction occurred.

1. INSPECT OPERATION OF SPEEDOMETER
a. Drive the vehicle and check if operation of the speedometer in the
combination meter is normal.
HINT: The vehicle speed sensor is operating normally if the speedometer display is normal.

NG: CHECK SPEEDOMETER CIRCUIT
OK: GO TO NEXT STEP

2. CHECK COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY
a. Disconnect the C10 combination meter connector.
B. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
C. Measure the voltage between the terminal of the combination meter and the body ground.
Standard voltage
Tester Connection C10-36 - Body ground
Specified Condition - 4.5 to 14 V

d. Reconnect the combination meter connector.

NG: Go to step 4
OK: GO TO NEXT STEP

3. CHECK COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY
a. Shift the lever to the neutral position.
B. Jack up the vehicle.
C. Turn the ignition switch ON.
D. Measure the voltage of the combination meter connector as the wheel is turned slowly.

Tester Connection = C10-36 - C10-30
Specified Condition = Generated intermittently

HINT: The output voltage should fluctuate up and down similarly to the diagram
on the left when the wheel is turned slowly. Fig 134/135

NG: REPLACE COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY
OK: GO TO NEXT STEP

4. CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR (ECM - COMBINATION
METER)
B. Disconnect the E5 ECM connector.
C. Check the resistance.

Standard resistance

ECM- COMBINATION METER

E. Reconnect the ECM connector.

NG: REPAIR OR REPLACE HARNESS OR CONNECTOR
OK: REPLACE ECM

Tester Connection
E5-17 (SPD) - C10-36 = Below 1?
E5-17 (SPD) or C10-36 - Body ground = 10 k? Or higher