DOES CHANGING GEAR OIL HELP IMPROVE CONDITION OF GEAR

2006 Toyota Avensis • 110,000 miles

My gearbox makes noise when I go into 3rd gear and continues when I am in 3rd gear and also when I go into fourth. If I change the gear oil do you think there will be any improvement to the gearbox.

also my timing chain makes noise when I have driven for for a sustained length of time, or say after an hour or two of intermittent driving it starts and continues but I hear no noise when I go on short journeys at the beginning of the day. Does it need to be changed immediately or can I wait till the time when I hear noise continously?
Sunny1234

As far as the chain, are you refering to the timing chain? If so, I recommend that you follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the owner's manual.

Gear lube can get dirty. It should be changed on a regular basis. As far as the noise, it could be a bearing that is damaged. The cheapest thing to try is changing the gear lube. It will not hurt.