SUZUKI VERONA AXLE PROBLEM

2006 Suzuki Verona • 60,000 miles

Every once in a while when I start my car and put it in gear and start driving it feels like the car has hiccups, but after a minute or two it will stop but it won't switch gears on the automatic transmission and when I try to accelerate to speed up it is non responsive and sluggish. But the next day when I start the car it is fine no problems? What could be the problem? Please help
Rsantos89

Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing and have you checked for trouble codes?
How is the transmission fluid level and condition?

Suzuki Verona's don't have a dip stick it's a sealed transmission. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was a P0700 code and that it would need a new Neutral Safety Switch they quoted me at $350. Does it sound right that it would be the Neutral safety Switch?

Rsantos89
There is no dipstck but you can check the level by removing the drain plug as shown in diagram. Fluids are filled here too.

DTC P0700: TRANSAXLE CONTROL MODULE (TCM) REQUESTED MIL ILLUMINATION

Circuit Description

The Transaxle Control Module (TCM) and the Engine Control Module (ECM) are
connected through the serial data link circuit. The TCM sends a P-code status message to the ECM every 100 milliseconds to confirm the transaxle is functioning correctly.

If the TCM detects either an A- or B-type malfunction within the transaxle, the TCM
will send to the ECM a P-code status message to turn the Malfunction Indicator Lamp
(MIL) ON and set DTC P0700.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Ignition ON.
Received message from the TCM indicating malfunction is detected in TCM.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will illuminate.

The ECM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This
information will be stored in the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records buffers.

A history DTC is stored.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.

DTC(s) can be cleared by using the scan tool.

Disconnecting the ECM battery feed for more than 10 seconds.

Diagnostic Aids

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed-through wire insulation
or a wire broken inside the insulation.

Check for a poor connection or damaged ECM/TCM harness. Inspect the serial data
link circuit for the following conditions: Improper mating
Broken locks
Improperly formed
Damaged terminals
Poor terminal-to-wiring connections
Damaged harness.

I am sceptical about a PNP switch fault causing the code unless there are other codes present. Such problems are usually triggerred by control units and their communication rather than the PNP switch.