WON'T START AFTER BATTERY DISCONNECT AND DASH DISASSEMBLY.

2006 SAAB 9-3 • 116,000 miles

I disassembled the dash of my 9-3 while uninstalling an XM receiver and had disconnected the battery in the process to protect everything from an inadvertent short. I am now unable to close the windows or moon roof, not to mention the car won't start. I'm assuming that there is a security feature that is thwarting my efforts but I'm stuck in the water while I research a solution. Any suggestions or assistance will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
John
Diesel3333

Do you have a key fob?

Yes, I even tried replacing the battery in the fob and also put an additional charge on the battery to no avail.

Diesel3333
The anti-theft alarm is always armed using the remote control but can also be set to arm itself when the car doors are closed or when the boot lid is closed. The anti-theft alarm status can be checked with the LED mounted on top of the instrument panel. When the anti-theft alarm is triggered, the BCM will send a bus command, whereby the UEC (underhood electrical center) will activate the front direction indicators and the car horn. The rear direction indicators are activated by the REC (rear electrical center). The siren is activated directly by the BCM control module via the communication cable. The interior lighting will be switched on by the BCM when the anti-theft alarm is triggered.

Seems the bcm controls this. Try removing the cable again and sees if it re boots.

Some additional details, I pretty much had the entire dash disassembled (vents, stereo, HVAC controls, trim, speedometer cluster, etc. All removed). This is why I'm under the impression that it may be a security issue because the car was without issue prior to the disassembly.

Diesel3333
You need to verify all your connections back there. Grounds are very important.

Thanks ASEMaster, I appreciate the tips. I just disconnected and reseated the electrical connectors to each device and still get the random clicking upon key turn and still no start. The gauges flutter and the lights flash somewhat randomly with lots of clicking noises from what sounds like underneath the car. I have the charger back on the battery in the event that this is due to a low battery charge.

Diesel3333
Check the cables for being clean and tight

Cables checked and rechecked, battery charged, finally started. Thanks for the help.

Diesel3333
Good job