MY BATTERY WAS DEAD FOR ABOUT 6MOS, SWAPPED A NEW MOTOR, NOW SPEEDO DOESNT WORK.

2006 Hyundai Sonata • 85,000 miles

BUT. If you hook up a OBD II scanner to the ECU, it reads speed and all of the information that should be going to the instrument cluster. There is just something not letting the information get to the speedo.
Rashmotabos369

Are there any trouble codes?

Which engine do you have?

Well, I'm not sure if any trouble codes come up. I don't think any do. It's the 4cyl motor.

Rashmotabos369
When using the scanner, you did not check for trouble codes? It could be a faulty meter which has comuter chips inside it. You should be checking for body control faults.

Well, the shop that swapped the engine checked everything with the scanner. Ill check with them to see if there were any codes. What do you mean by body control faults? And what is the meter?

Rashmotabos369
Meter cluster is what I meant. Body control modules are various computers within the vehicle that are interlinked, eg between engine, gauges, alarm etc. If there are any faults, some of the control modules cannot communicate with each other.

Ok, so when you say Meter cluster, do you mean the instrument cluster? When I got in it yesterday, it worked for about a mile, then when to zero and stayed there. Could it be wiring?

Rashmotabos369
Yes, instrument cluster it is. It could be faulty or a loose wiring somewhere. It could also be due to a loose ground circuit connection. A scan tool would help to diagnose such problems if it has functions to test the instrument cluster.