COOLING FAN WON'T STOP RUNNING

2006 Ford Fusion • 51,000 miles

I read a previous question that you answered that the module could be at fault on another Ford model. I took the car into repair center and they advised that this a a problem with Ford and the module can't be purchased and they have to replace the entire cooling fan at a cost of $900 because modules aren't on the parts market, including from Ford.

Can you verify if this is true, please?

Thank you,

John
Milford, MI 48381
Spidrluvr

What module are they talking about?
This sounds like a complete lie. Even if you did have to replace the cooling fan you can find them for around $500 or even less.
If I were you I would just get a used one. You can go to your local auto recycler and have them find one for you. You can probably get one for 1/3 the cost of new. You can probably find whatever "module" needs to be replaced there too.

Usually when the cooling fans won't go off it's because of the cooling fan relay. You might want to check it out. To check it just switch it with another relay of the same kind.
They are usually found under the hood in the relay center.

I think you are being taken for a ride.

Promechanic
I'll take your advise and do as you suggest.
I can't thank you enough for your help and I really do appreciate your advice.

John

Spidrluvr
THE RELAY "STICKING" IS REALLY THE CONTACTS INSIDE, SORTA WELDING THEMSELVES TOGETHER

SOMETIMES A GOOD HARD "THUMP" WITH YOUR FINGERS WILL KNOCK 'EM APART, DO THIS WHILE IT'S RUNNING (THUS VERIFYING THIS WAS INDEED WHAT HAPPENED) IF IT DOES STOP RUNNING WITH THE THUMP, I'D STILL REPLACE IT ANYWAY

AS FAR AS WHAT promechanic SAID ABOVE, FINDING THE RELAY'S "TWIN" IN THE RELAY BOX AND SWAPPING THEM OUT, AS A TEST, WORKS WELL TOO

HOPE IT'S THAT SIMPLE---GOTTA WATCH EVERYBODY, FROM THE STEALERSHIP, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE GUY DOWN THE STREET, SEEMS NOW DAYS EVERYONE WANTS TO STICK IT TO YOU!

KEEP US INFORMED ON YOUR PROGRESS

Thank you for your response and advise. I can't find the relay in the box for the cooling fan. I checked the owners manual for the cooling fan a diagram explaining the purpose of each relay and fuse but there isn't one indicated for the cooling fan. Also when I do a Google search for cooling fan module, all that shows is the entire cooling fan for sale. There is a 60A fuse for the fan but it is ok.

Spidrluvr
OK--I GO LOOK IN MITCHEL I FOR A DIAGRAM, MAYBE WITH LOCATIONS, IF NOT MAYBE THEY WILL HAVE A CHART WITH IT IN IT

GIMME A LITTLE TIME---(I'M SLOW) I WILL RETURN SOON WITH SOMETHING--EVEN IF IT'S NOT GOOD!

ALLRIGHTY THEN

SEEMS I DID NOT HAVE ALL OF YOUR EXACT NOMENCLATURE AND ENGINE SIZE TO YOUR RIG

SOME OF THIS WAS THE SAME FOR THE VARIOUS MODELS

I SORTA JUST "WINGED" THIS USING A "FOCUS S"

I GOT YOU THIS DIAGRAM OF THE COOLING FAN SYSTEM. RELAYS, MAY WORK DIFFERENT, USING COMPUTER CRAP?

IF YOU FEEL IT'S NOT THE RIGHT ONE--SEND ME MORE INFO AND I'LL TRY AGAIN

MAYBE YOU OUGHTA GET YOU A JEEP CJ OR WRANGLER. LESS COMPLICATED!

Thank you so very much for your time and patience with me. I really do appreciate you guys and the expert assistance you're so willing to offer.

John
Milford, MI 48381

Spidrluvr
MAYBE IT'S AS SIMPLE AS A BAD COOLANT TEMP SENSOR

I'M MORE OF A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY--SO I CAN'T SPIT OUT PERFECT INFO FOR YOUR RIG

BUT THESE AREN'T EXPENNSIVE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=coolant+temperature+sensor&searchedFrom=header

AND $26 OR LESS AIN'T MUCH!---IF IT WORKS, NO SHOP INVOLVED....GREAT!!!IF IT DON'T YOU NOW HAVE A NEW PART (PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE) AND YOU ALSO HAVE THE OLD ONE AS A SPARE!

I DON'T NORMALLY SUGGEST THROWING PART AFTER PART (ESPECIALLY EXPENSIVE ONES) AT A POSSIBLE FIX

BUT I DO GET UPSET HEARING THAT AFTER EXPENSIVE TESTING AT A SHOP....THEN THEY STICK THE SAME $13 PART IN THAT I WOULD HAVE! THE BILL MIGHT BE SEVERAL HUNDRED BUCKS

MOST OF THE TIME, AFTERMARKET PARTS WORK JUST FINE.....SO MANY FOLKS INSIST ON "OEM" PARTS ONLY (MANY TIMES THIS JUST MAKES THE OTHER GUY RICHER, AS HE MARKS THEM UP PERCENTAGE WISE)........I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE DEFECTIVE TOO!

IF YOU WOULD GET YOU A REAL VEHICLE (A JEEP CJ) WE COULD REPAIR YOU FOR WEEKS AND WEEKS---JUST TO GET YOU BACK IN TIP-TOP SHAPE.....I COULD ANSWER WITH FULL CONFIDENCE---BELOW IS ONE OF MANY THAT ENJOY/ HAVE ENJOYED ASSISTING

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1982-jeep-cj7-ignition-problem-spark-distributor-cap

KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS---STILL OTHERS MAY JOIN IN---OR I CAN HUNT SOMEONE DOWN WHO MIGHT HELP BETTER THAN ME