TRYING TO DIAGNOSE OVERHEATED ENGINE WITH ERROR CODE P1229. THE GAUGE GOES BACK TO NORMAL IF I SHUT OFF AND RESTART CAR. NO LOSS OF FLUID.

2006 Ford F-150 • 90,000 miles

I have a 2006 Ford F150 V6 4.2L that overheated on the highway today. The gauge went to hot and it lost power. I pulled over and there was plenty of fluid, no leaks. The radiator hose was a little hot but I'm not sure if that's normal. Went to an auto parts store and read a P1229 Code from the computer. The fan belt squealed once yesterday and today for about 5 seconds when starting for the first time each day. I thought maybe it was the water pump but it's not leaking. When I turn the car off after overheating and turn back on, the gauge goes back to normal. The check engine light stays on. Belt doesn't seem worn or cracked.
Evergrump

Are both radiator hoses getting really hot?Also is your radiator fan working correctly?

Im not sure about a second hose. Just checked the main one on the top left side as you face it. Fan appears to be working fine. Only happened so far when up to speed on the highway though after about 25+ mins driving.

Evergrump
Sounds like a clogged radiator but I am concerned about the overheating. You may have damaged the motor by it overheating so much.

There is a upper lower radaitor hose if there both getting really hot the thermostat is working. The two things that come to. Mind are the thermostat or fan is the fan blowing like a hurricane when its really hot?

Only happened one time.

Evergrump
I'll have to go drive it for a while to get it to overheat again. Wouldn't the inside gauge say it's hot still though after turning the car off and then back on? The gauge instantly goes back to normal and it runs fine.

Evergrump
I would be looking at the thermostat and fan before the radiator being clogged its a lot more common for a fan or thermostat to fail.

Yeah that is strange when it was really hot did the coolant boil over?

Okay thanks. I was going to change the thermostat for the heck of it earlier since it's a quick and cheap thing to do. The sensor as well but I couldn't seem to locate it.

Evergrump
The sensor is on the left cylinder head I posted a diagram of where it is.