FORD ESCAPE BLOWER MOTOR PROBLEM

2006 Ford Escape • 30,000 miles

Climate Control System: The Fan Speed Adjustment switch positions 1 and 2 does not open the instrument panel air vents, turn-on the fan and the AC does not operate. In fan switch positions 3 and 4, each selection works as expected.
Louraskin

Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

Yes, I do have a multi-meter.

Louraskin
So fan position one and two doesnt turn on the blower motor?

Yes, that is correct; fan switch positions 1 and 2, no blower motor. Positions 3 and 4, the blower motor runs in a normal manner.

Louraskin
I posted the trouble tree let me know what you find.

Thank you for the troubleshooting tree. Now, I need some input on accessing the fan control switch and mentioned wiring without destroying the grill panel.

Louraskin
I posted how to remove the ac control.

Progress to date: Switch panel and switch removed. Did a resistance check on the disconnected switch positions and it appears to be working okay; that is a circuit is formed on different connector pins in each position, except off.

The instruction asked that the blower motor power and the blower motor resistor be disconnected for resistance check. I have been unable to locate either the blower motor power connector or the blower motor resistor.

Louraskin
I posted a diagram to show you where the resistor and blower motor is.

Mission Accomplished, partially. I located the Blower Motor Resistor removed it and found it be heavily rusted, flaking and one resistor coil disconnected. As a temporary fix, I connected the "floater" resistor coil to another having a common connection using a small gage solid electrical wire, holding it in its approximate connected position. All fan speeds are now functional at the expected manner, indicating the fan switch is functional.

I have also located a replacement Blower Motor Resistor on eBay. Would you have a recommended supplier?

Saturntech9, you assistance has been of great value and very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Lou Raskin

Louraskin