DODGE RAM WHEEL PROBLEM

2006 Dodge Ram • 90,710 miles

Clunking noise from rear differential axle when turning right and/or put gear in reverse. What causing this?

IS THIS A POSI-TRACTION (LIMITED SLIP) REAR?

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR U-JOINTS?

1) I believe that it does has limited slip rear (not a mechanic)
2) Yeah on U-joints, local AAmco specialist checked it out and was okay. The noise sounds like metal clunking against metal in rear axle but truck still drives okay with the occassional clunk when put into reverse or turning. Maybe its two separate items, ie rear wheel bearings?

4Catrina
AS FAR AS "DO I HAVE" OR "NOT HAVE" POSI?

THIS COULD VARY FRONT AND REAR (AT LEAST ON JEEPS AND TRUCKS I KNOW) CHECK BOTH ENDS!

JACK THE FRONT UP AND/ OR BACK UP (BOTH WHEELS IN THE AIR)

INSURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL--E-BRAKE IS OFF. BE SAFE!

SPIN A WHEEL---IF THE OPPOSITE WHEEL SPINS THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. YOU HAVE A STANDARD DIFFERENTIAL

IF THE OPPOSITE WHEEL SPINS THE SAME DIRECTION AS YOU ARE TURNING THIS ONE---YOU HAVE POSI. CORRECT ADDITIVE AND VOLUME MUST BE USEDIF WE DON'T HAVE POSI, THEY WILL MOVE OPPOSITE OF EACH OTHER

BEING THIS IS 4X4--YOUR HUBS (IF APPLICABLE ON THIS RIG) WILL NEED TO BE LOCKED IN IN ORDER TO MAKE THE OPPOSITE WHEEL MOVE ON THE FRONT END

SORRY--I'M A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY, I DON'T KNOW YOUR SYSTEMS EXACT OPERATION

IF YOU DO HAVE POSI--AFTER YOUR FLUID CHANGE

IF ALL IS GOOD IN THE FLUID DEPARTMENT. LIKE, YOU DO HAVE POSI AND THE CORRECT GEAR OIL AND "POSI ADDITIVE" HAS BEEN ADDED IN THE RIGHT AMOUNT, SOMETHING THAT WILL AID IN LUBRICATING THE CLUTCHES (KEEPS POPPING NOISES DOWN) IS: FIND AN ABANDONED PARKING LOT,

DRIVE IN REALLY TIGHT FIGURE "8s"

THIS GETS THE ADDITIVE AND GEAR OIL TO GO IN-BETWEEN THE CLUTCH PACKS INSIDE THE DIFFERENTIAL

DO IT OVER AND OVER (ON A PREVIOUS CJ I HAD, IT TOOK MAYBE 10 OR SO --- "8s" TO MAKE THE POPPING STOP)

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO FAST. JUST WHAT YOU ARE DOING, WILL DRAW PLENTY ENOUGH ATTENTION. YOU MAY BE EXPLAINING "THE DEAL", TO AN OFFICER, AS I HAD TO DO!

DOING THIS AT NIGHT SORTA MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE RECKLESS!--YOUR HEADLIGHTS SORTA MAKE IT LOOK WORSE THAN IT IS!

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES

Thanks for info. Will take advice and check for standard/posi-track motion.

4Catrina
ROGER---KEEP US INFORMED

IF YOU NEED MORE INFO ON THE ADDITIVE, I WILL TRY TO ASSIST YOU