I REPLACED MY WATER PUMP ON MY GRAND SXT LAST MONTH. WHEN I STARTED IT TODAY, IT MADE A SOUND LIKE IT DID WHEN THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT BUT THERE IS NO WATER ON THE GROUND AND THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE SHOWS NORMAL TEMPERATURE IN THE ENGINE

2006 Dodge Caravan

It was only when I first accelerated that my van made that noise but once the engine was warm, it didn't make any unusual noises.
Andrea Pederson

What engine size? What kind of noise? Can't tell much over a computer unless you give details.

Sorry, my question got cut off. It's the 3.7 liter engine and upon initial start up, it sounds like the water pump went out. There is no water on the ground and engine temperature is still normal. When I accelerated the engine, it sounded like a rush of water was going through the engine itself. Ambient temperature at the time was right around 34 degrees and my van was sitting in the parking lot at work for about 8 hours.

Andrea Pederson
Water pumps make lots of different sounds. If it sounds like a rough, grinding noise, serpentine belt idler pulleys will make that noise too. The noise can go away once the grease softens and starts to lubricate the bearing. Bearings can make a buzzing noise when they develop wear at higher mileages. At first that will also go away, often a few seconds after starting the engine. As the wear gets worse, the noise will take longer to go away, if it does at all.

Spring-loaded automatic belt tensioners can become tight on their pivot and fail to hold proper tension on the belt. That results in a chirping or squealing sound. To identify that, dribble a little water onto the smooth back side of the belt while the engine is idling. If the sound changes, check the operation of the tensioner and for proper pulley alignment. With the engine off, tug on the belt and release it. You should see the tensioner pulley move, then move back to tighten the belt. If it sticks and leaves the belt loose, replace it and the belt.

Often a noisy item can be found while listening with a stethoscope. You can also remove the belt, then start the engine. If the noise is still there, it obviously isn't belt or pulley related. That would point to something inside the engine.