CHEVY BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ON WITH PEDAL LET UP.

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Brakes problem
2006 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 41000 miles

With the brake pedal released, the brake lights (on the back of the car) stay on. If I press the pedal slightly they go off. Then if I press it further down (how you would if you were stopping a little quickly) they come on. I have read a number of people online having the same problem, and the answer is to " adjust the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal". However, on my car there is no switch there. There is a metal rod that sticks about 6 inches off the left side of the brake pedal, perpendicular to the brake pedal lever. When you press the pedal it turns a white plastic switch (looks like if you make a " peace" sign with your fingers). That is the only switch I see anywhere near the brake pedal under the dash.
Postwick

The switch you have in mind is the brake pedal position sensor on the brake support bracket try adjusting it don't work replace it-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_brake_8.jpg

Not exactly the best drawing, but this is what the switch I'm talking about looks like. it's the only switch I see. on the 2006 have they combined the sensor that allows you to shift out of park with the sensor for the rear brake lights? this is the only switch I see that is affected by pressing the brake pedal.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/228923_untitled_1.jpg

this switch is NOT mounted on the brake pedal or lever. it is to the left about 6 or 8 inches, and is rotated by a metal rod that sticks off the side of the brake pedal lever and inserts between the two arms on the above switch.

Postwick
Disconnect the switch and observe the brake lights-The brake switch/sensor are use to control other function such as the cruise control and shift interlock

Hmm, I also noticed the cruise control no longer works. When I press the on/off button the light does not come on on the dash, and the set button doesn't do anything.

I'll try disconnecting it and report back. Thank you so much for your help.

Postwick
Postwick,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem and trying to locate a solution as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Chall52
No I have not resolved it yet. I just make sure to press the pedal down enough that the brake lights come on when I'm stopping/stopped.

I called the repair shop I usually use and they said the sensor is a dealer-only part, and I know what that means $$$.

Postwick
I've changed the brake switch above the pedal and that cost me about $22 from the dealership and no fix.

I did some troubleshooting last night and I found the fuses and relays that interface the brake light system. I swapped a brake relay with the trunk release relay (they are identical) and so far I haven't had problems with my brakes. I've noticed my trunk not responding as quickly, but that might be wishful thinking.

I'm keeping close eye on it, so if anything changes I'll let you know.

Chall52
I know this question is old but hope someone may be able to use this.
#08-05-22-009: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTC C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined) - (Dec 4, 2008)

Subject: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTCs C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

Condition
Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0161 and/or C0277 may be set.

Cause
The most likely cause of this condition is high resistance due to terminal fretting corrosion in the body control module (BCM) C2 connector (specifically pins C2-18, C2-31 and C2-59).

Correction
DO NOT replace the BCM for this condition. Disconnecting the C2 connector, adding dielectric silicone grease and reconnecting the C2 connector per the procedure below will correct the high resistance condition due to terminal fretting corrosion.

Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Locate the C2 connector on the BCM.
Unlatch the C2 connector and disconnect the C2 connector from the BCM.
Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 (this step cleans up the terminal fretting corrosion).
Using the Tech 2 ®, verify the brake pedal position sensor (BPPS) voltage is between: • 0.88V - 2.11V (for 2004-2006 model years)

• 0.73V - 1.47V (for 2007-2009 model years)

Check for proper operation of the brake lights.
• If the brakes lights are operating properly, remove the C2 connector again from the BCM and proceed to Step 8.

• If the brake lights are not operating properly, proceed to Step 12.

Apply dielectric lubricant (clear gel) GM P/N 12377900 (In Canada, use P/N 10953529) on the BCM C2 pins (apply with a one-inch nylon bristle brush) on all the C2 connector pins (this will treat the pins against fretting corrosion).
Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.
Using the Tech 2 ®, check that the BPPS ratio is equal to BPPS learned home when the brake pedal is not depressed.
• If they are equal, brake lamps should be operating correctly and no further steps are necessary.

• If they are not equal, perform the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration procedure in SI to complete the repair.

Check the brake lights for proper operation. If incorrect, refer to SI and perform normal diagnostics.
Source(s): gm tech

Tdinmt
I just realized my brake lights were doing the same thing. Can anyone put this in simple terms for me, that I can try myself?

No knowledge
What do you want to try yourself, I took mine to a shop with the tsb and it took them about half an hour and no more problems. The connection is in the passenger foot well, in the center console area by the passengers left foot. The c2 connector, my mechanic said was labeled j2. Just look for the 2. Unplug, plug, unplug, plug and check your brake lights. If they work, unplug one more time add the special grease plug in and forget about it.

Tdinmt
Page 1 of 2