WHY IS MY JETTA STICKING/BINDING BETWEEN GEARS

2005 Volkswagen GLI • 118 miles

I have a 2005 VW Jetta GLI turbo, automatic w/tiptronic. I have over 115k miles on it. My car for a couple of months now seems to bind (stick) while going in between gears. It will try to go into 3rd -4th but while doing so the rpms rev and wont release to shift into the next gear unless the gas pedal is release. After release you give it gas and seems to be ok until possibly trying to go into the next gear. It will coast while in gear fine, it is just when it tries to shift (no matter if it is on auto or tip). I was at VW about 4 months ago to have my car look at because it was stalling while driving for no reason. I was told it was something with these models that they cant figure out why when the car is at a quarter of a tank it stalls and there was nothing they can do accept advise me to keep it above a quarter tank. At my 100k mileage service a couple months ago I mentioned that it started sticking. I was told the binding/sticking also could be part of the problem. The sticking/binding just happens, it doesnt matter how much gas is in the car when the sticking between gears will occur.
At a lost and don't know where to turn for help on this? Any suggestions?
Tbentley

Run a transmission scan using a good quality scanner, check for any unresolved fault codes, start here.

Mhpautos