TOYOTA COROLLA HEADLIGHTS PROBLEM

2005 Toyota Corolla • 100,000 miles

When my car is running, my daytime running lights are on, however when it starts to get dark an I turn on the headlights - there is no difference in brightness. It was always my undersatnding that DRL were not as bright as headlights. I also have a 2010 corolla and when the headlights are turned on there is a definate difference. I went to my Toyota dealership today but they did not know the answer. Could it be a fuse or culd brighter bulbs be put in to help with nighttime driving.

The lights are the same so why should there be a difference when it is DRL or headlights?

2005 and 2010 would make a difference. If you park both cars side by side and compare the head lights assemblies without turning them on, you would see the difference. The lenses of the 2010 and reflectors would be much brighter than the 2005, which most probably is faded and dull.

Bighter bulbs are illegal for some places and the extra heat from the higher wattage bulb would cause the lenses to deteriorate at a much faster rate.