TOYOTA 4RUNNER ENGINE PROBLEM

2005 Toyota 4Runner • 86,000 miles

The engine sounds as if it is always winding, as though it is in a low gear. Any thoughts?
Paul Woods

Can you explain the meaning of winding in more details? I don't understand the term you are using.

Yes, when I first start out driving and reach a speed of 25 or 30 m.P.H, the engine doesn't seem to automatically shift to a smoother running gear, It sounds loud and also sounds as if it is not automatically shifting down on its own. When driving at higher speeds, the same thing happens. It doesn't shift down. It's as if I were driving a standard shift transmission and always in a gear lower than I should be.

Paul Woods
Gear shifting are electronically controlled by the transmisison control module with signals from various sensors and if one of them is not sending the correct signal, erratic shifting would occur. Are there any components that is not functioning correctly. Get a scan done to check for trouble codes, which would tell you if anything is wrong with the control system.

Thank You. I will do that.

Paul Woods
Let us know what codes are present and we should be able to advise you how to proceed from here.