NOISES ON CAR

2005 Subaru Legacy • 4 cylinder AWD Manual • 78,000 miles

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy gt with manual transmission with 78,000 miles. When I make a left hand turn at around 15mph in only 1ST gear it will click numerous times. So I thought I had a bad front left axle so I went to a parking lot went in some left and right circles and it did not click or make any noise. Dead silent. The clicking is only there when in 1st gear turn left and going around 15mph!If I start in 2nd gear it is quiet and if I turn slower than 15mph in 1st gear there's no clicking. I washed the under body, went to many shops that say the axle is fine no cuts, not torn, no grease or anything. Could it be in the transmission? Please help!
Also another question is there is a scraping/rubbing sound when driving from the rear right side. I had my wheel bearings replaced so that should be fine. It sound like how a rotor would sound when you spin it when doing brake jobs. There is also a pretty deep scratch on the inside pad where it may have scraped the rusted parts of the middle rotor. There is a lot of pads left. Rotor is still clean and caliper and piston still work its not hot after driving. I cleaned the pads so there shouldn't be dirt on it. It doesn't sound louder when braking or anything, same amount of noise like a scraping/rubbing sound. I had mechanic drive it and they always say I didn't here anything did you? I know there is a scraping/rubbing sound but don't know if its wrong pads, bad rotors or what. I pressure washed the whole under body. So what can it be? Why is there a deep scratch on the inside pad and not on the other left inside pad? Could it be just wrong pads? I just want to buy the right thing and not buy anything I don't have too! Please answer both of my questions not just one.
Wongkid07

These are tough questions not being there to hear the problems. I don't believe you have an issue with the transmission. If there was a problem with the transmission, it wouldn't care if you are turning or not. This may sound really simple, but check to make sure the backing plates behind the rotors are not rusted or bent and rubbing / clicking against the rotors. The same with the noise you hear on the rear. Make sure nothing is wedged between the backing plate and rotor or the backing plate isn't rusted or bent and touching.

One other thing, if the noise changes in the rear when you make turns, even though the bearing are new, one may still be bad. Make sure the differential fluid is clean and full.

Back to the front, a clicking sound when turning usually indicates a bad CV joint, I believe your first guess. Just because the boots are good and the grease is still inside doesn't mean the joing it good. Remember, in first gear, you are placing more torque on the axle than in another gear.

I would also like you to double check the rear brakes. Make sure there are no markes on the wheel that could indicate the caliper is loose or moving.

So I had a few mechanics look for the clicking noise up front and they say everything is good and tight. Backing plate is not touching anything, Brake pads and caliper are tight and not loose, Axle nut is tight, tie rod good, rack and pinion and everything else is in good condition. When I go and do some figure 8 turns and tight circles in a parking lot there still isn't a click at all in either directions. Wouldn't a bad axle click when doing circles or figure 8's? Could it be a bad axle even if it doesn't click when doing circles but only on turns on the streets? I don't want to buy a axle if its not but everything is good and tight. The axle boots are not torn!

Wongkid07
I have one last suggestion. On the drive shaft is a carrier bearing. That needs to be checked. I recommend having a dealer check it if you haven't been to one yet.

Let me know what you find.

The drive shaft you mean the shaft that connects my front and rear wheels and spins both sides or the drive axles? Also where is this bearing at you think? I'll have a mechanic look at it, just a little more detail on kinda where this is if you can!

Wongkid07
Yes, the drive shaft goes from the front to the rear. The drive axles are different. I have attached a couple pictures for you to look at. THe rear drive shaft has a carrier and a special joint that commonly go bad. I think that is where your problem is located. If the shop you are going to hasn't checked it, you may want to ask a dealer.

Take a look at the pictures. They were the best I could find. They are from one that is a couple years older Legacy, but the same basic design.

Let me know what you find.

Well, lately it hasn't been clicking or making a sound when I turn, maybe it was snow or ice that melted because its a little warmer now or it was something that didn't like the cold weather and was screaming but there's no noise now. Thank You for your help. If it comes back I'll let you know!

Wongkid07
Take care

Well lately its been cold and its clicking again. I haven't looked at the carrier bearing but wouldn't that make noise when going straight too? What else would click when its cold but not when its warm out? Is it the axle? I don't know if I should just ignore it or try to find out what it is since it only click's when its cold outside!

Wongkid07
Believe it or not, they can make noise when going straight too. Since the cold weather has an affect on it, it sounds like a CV joint that may be somewhat dry (little grease).

So if it is the axle that's low on grease, can you just put more grease in it or do you have to buy a whole new axle? How much would it be if you can put more grease in the c.V joints? So do you thinks its the grease in the axle that's making this noise when cold only but not when a little warmer?

Wongkid07
Page 1 of 2