HOW TO PAINT OVER SMALL SECTION OF CAR..

2005 Scion tC

Hi.I won't get into why, but a small portion on the front of my car is painted red. And my car is dark grey. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can I just spray paint over the red with spray paint of the right color or do I have to sand and all of that stuff you would normally do when painting a car. Please let me know what steps I need to take to paint over the red section. I already have the right colored paint and spray paint. Do I need anything else?
Gene12586

You need not remove the red color completely but at least you have to sand it down and clean the surface to get the new paint to adhere. Since it is of a different color, to cover it completely you would need spray several layers.

If the paint is metallic based and you are only going to spray the partially, you stand to have a two tone color even though you might have the same color code. A certain level of skill is required to perform the job. You would need a lacquer layer to protect the paint as well.

If you were to spray the complete front portion, the two tone effect might appear when compared to rear portion of vehicle.

THANKS!

Gene12586
You're welcome.