SATURN L300 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2005 Saturn L300 • 40,000 miles

Question for Saturntech9:
My warning light came on my car Saturday with the wrench. Checked the manual and it said it was a non-emission problem. Once the light went out (when I shut the car down) it never came back on again. I did notice, or thought I noticed, a jerk with it shifted out of first gear once or twice when the light first came on. Did not notice anything after that. I took it in for a check and after putting it on the machine to check codes, etc, they said it looked like it was not shifting properly. No final diagnosis yet. They will call back shortly, but said it looked like a transmission problem. My car only has 40,000 miles on it. Would there be an GM warrantly on the transmission with so few miles? I can't believe it might need to be replaced. I had the transmission fluid changed I believe last November. I talked to you about that and what kind of fluid to use, etc. The name used was Billington. What do you think? Thanks.

I don't remember the power train warranty on those its been a while since I have deault with the warranty. What is the code you are setting?If its a P1811 most likely you have a ad pressure control solenoid.

I don't have the "final" answer from the dealer yet. If it is that code, what is the proper procedure to fix it? I don't want to be told I need a new transmission if it is something easire to fix. What is the ad pressure control solenoid and what should it cost? Sorry - woman here with no clue!

Billington
Hey my Saturn fixer friend: The code was P1811 and they were telling me I might need a new transmission. I called a transmission shop and they said if the car only has 40,000 miles on it it is definitely the pressure control solenoid. He said he could fix for $750 where the dealer was up into the thousands the way they were talking. Thanks so much for the code heads up. It came in very handy. I'm all set. Appreciate your help!

Billington
As long as there isn't debris in your transmission fluid you need a pressure control solenoid the would be over a thousand.750 isn't bad too bad you didn't live closer I could do it for less then 750.

Thank you very much. I did have the transmission fluid replaced in November, so it should be clean. I noticed that the notes from the dealer who wanted to take my transmission apart mentioned that the transmission fluid was dirty. I really do not see how it could be dirty after having been changed in November. When it was changed they even commented that it was not all that bad. I wish you were closer too! You would be a handy neighbor. Thanks for all your help.

Billington
Your welcome keep me posted on how you make out.

Hey saturntech9: I just wanted to thank you again for your advise. I did take my car to a transmission specialist and the pressure control solenoid was all that needed replacing (for $650 instead of $750). Contrary to what the Chevy dealership that took over Saturn owners told me, the transmission did not need to be taken apart to find other problems and the transmission fluid was clean. I found an honest transmission shop and he said the dealership was just trying to run up the bill.
I miss my Saturn dealership! They never did that.
I just wanted to update you as you were kind enough to ask me let you know. Take care and I'll contact you in the future should I have any more questions on my wonderful L300 - love that car!
Thanks again.

Billington
Your welcome glad to hear you had a happy ending iam here if you need me.