CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME BACK ON AFTER REPAIRS WERE MADE ON2005 . GAS CAP REPLACED & PURGE VALVE SOLENOID.NOW IT INDICATES LARGE LEAK. $200 WASTED. WHY IS IT THAT THEELECTRONIC DEVICE INDICATES SOMETHING DIFFERENT AFTER I MADETHE NECESSARY CO

2005 Pontiac Vibe • 108,000 miles

Check engine light on steady - replaced gas cap and light returned.
had it electronically checked again. Now it indicated purge valve
solenoid. I replaced that. Again, the light came back on in 2 days.
Now it indicates 2 large leaks somewhere. I already spent $200 and
problem not solved. What should I do?
Jipe

Fault codes never say to replace parts. They indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. The circuit should be tested to see if voltage is being applied to the solenoid. As for leaks, about the only way to find them is with a smoke machine. They inject white non-toxic smoke at 2 psi, then you look for where it's sneaking out.

You need to take it to a qualified shop that has a smoke machine and people who are trained to diagnose an evap system. You cannot just throw parts at it based on the codes you get or the most likely causes. For the $200.00 you've already spent you could have had it properly diagnosed and maybe repaired.

Homer1967