HELLO,I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CAR STARTING. I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH A CRANK SHAFT SENSOR SO EVERY TIME I START MY CAR, IT CRANKS FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS BEFORE TURNING OVER. I WAS WONDERING, SINCE MONEY IS TIGHT, IS DOING THAT REPEATEDLY GOING TO PERMANE

2005 Nissan Altima • 98,000 miles

Also, what would be a fair price to repair a crank shaft sensor?
CarDumb1

Engine cold or warm makes no difference? Have you tried holding pedal down a little/more when starting?

Fixitmr
Oh, I didn't even think about it being cold or warm, but now that you mention it, it seems to start faster when the engine is cold. In the morning if I turn the key real fast then the engine starts right away. But if I drive around, then park for a about 30 minutes, then go to restart it, it has trouble and just cranks for a while. The last time I did that, I actually heard a clunk while it was cranking. I have been scared to try starting it since.

CarDumb1
Wherebouts you located? You could try your local craigslist for come to you mechanics under services. Imeani dont sound like you are gonna mess with it yourself?

Fixitmr
You are absolutely correct. This is not something I would feel comfortable doing myself. I watched a video of someone doing it and I definitely don't have the tools, nor the confidence. I will defiantly take your suggestion and look on craigslist for a mechanic. Do you have an idea of a fair price for this type of a repair? And worst case scenario, if I have to drive it to an auto shop, from what you know do you think its a safe thing to do?

CarDumb1
I have replaced many cps on altimas. There not that hard. Its jas a very hi frailer rate. There is one plug with a saftey lock and one bolt. The hard part is that its hard to see. You have to do it by feel.

Djcl
I see. Well, I ordered a crank and cam shaft position sensors. There is a mobile mechanic coming within the next two days that says he will do it for 40 dollars. The parts each cost around 30 dollars so in total it will cost about 100 dollars to fix, which is MUCH less than I expected it to.

Just wanted to say that you guys have a great service here and a great idea. I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to get information from an actual mechanic. It's hard to trust many of them out here, they all want to get as much money from you as possible. But you seem like an honest guy so I just wanted to say thanks for holding my hand pretty much.

CarDumb1