** TRANSMISSION JOLT WHEN GOING DOWNHILL

2005 Mercedes Benz E500 • V8 2WD Automatic • 80,000 miles

I recently purchased a 2005 E500 with approx. 80K miles on it. I feel a "jolt, " that seems to come from the transmission, every time I go downhill, which is whenever I leave my house. The severity of the "jolt" depends on the speed. What could be causing this?
Amr

Bad motor mounts. Bad u-joints. When you feel the "jolt", what sort of input are you giving the vehicle? Braking? Throttle? Idle? Do you have any vibrations at other times?

Rivermikerat
Definitely if I'm not braking while going downhill. It's much milder if I'm braking. I just took the car out for a test drive, where I put the transmission in neutral, and there was no jolting at all.

Amr
It sounds like it could be u-joints. But these will usually also announce themselves on the freeway, when you start accelerating or decelerating. Check the motor and transmission mounts. Check to be sure nothing in the trunk is rolling around.

Rivermikerat
No issues when accelerating or decelerating. Nothing in the trunk. Will need to check the engine and transmission mounts. Could it be that the transmission needs to be readapted or the transmission fluid is low?

Amr
It *might* be the trans slipping in and out of gear, and low fluid can cause that. I don't understand 'readapted".

Rivermikerat