OVERHEATED - WON'T START

2005 Mazda 3 • 62,500 miles

My daughter has a 2005 Mazda 3 that sufferred a damaged radiator and lost coolant while she was driving. The car quit running about 10 minutes after the damage.
The engine will still crank without any unusual sounds, but will not actually fire. We have ordered a new radiator. Is there a safety system that might be preventing the engine from starting until it is reset?
Fempersive

It doesn't have a fuel cut off switch like a Ford-check for fuel and spark-

Further info --
Car does have both spark and fuel, but 2 different compression tests showed zero compression. When cranking the car, engine seems to spin very easily (just like other cars that I have owned in the past that had a broken timing belt) -although the timing chain seems fine and the camshaft is turning when the engine is cranked.

Fempersive
Time to open it up and investigate the valves/rings/cylinder for wear to include the timing chain -could be stretch/jumped time