ROARING NOISE - FRONT OF ENGINE NEAR PULLEYS

2005 Kia Optima • 143,000 miles

2005 Kia Optima LX V6 2.7 - 1 week ago, I had my AC compressor, dessicant bag & expansion valve replaced, & had the system evacuated/charged which works fine. As soon as the new parts were put on and the car was started, an unusual noise appeared. The mechanic said it is "bearing noise resonating from front of engine near pulleys" and upon looking at idler pulleys & serpentine belt suggested changing those. One pulley was in bad shape & the belt needed changing so we replaced both pulleys & the belt but the noise is still there and no one seems to be able to pinpoint it. It's sort of a roaring noise when sitting still & when driving the car. Upon turning on AC & accelerating, the noise is faster paced. Also, this morning upon entering the parking garage, I heard a squealing noise. I was going up hill in the garage and was not turning. Any ideas?

Neesi970

Was. A used ac compressor installed?

Merlin2021
No, all parts used are new.

Neesi970
You need to either purchase a car stethoscope or make one with rubber tubing and steel brake line, just a section of line at the front and back seperated by a section of rubber hose. Listen to each pulley, steering, alternator, water pump, etc. One will have loud bearings.

Merlin2021
Cool, I didn't know such a thing existed. But I looked it up and they are cheap! At this point, I am willing to give that a try. Thanks!

Neesi970
Let me know how you do.

Merlin2021
Or you could pull the serpentine belt and move wiggle and spin all the pulleys by hand looking for play, tightness, and noise. The reason it increases with the ac is because your car bumps up the idle to keep up with the ac. It is engine speeed related, wich means it is certainly something with a belt. Check the tensioner/idler too.

ProAutoTech
CARPRO3 yes you can do that, but on transverse mounts in Kia/Hyundia, they are real tight. This was a july 12 question, and since no further questions arose, it's probably fixed.

Merlin2021