HYUNDAI TRAJET GAS PROBLEM

2005 Hyundai Trajet • 200,000 miles

Had an overhaul of transmission recently. Couple of weeks later, the temperature reached maximum while driving due to leaking radiator. Had that fixed but temperature still not within the normal range. Changed a few hoses and sensors. Mechanic advised to permanently leave open the thermostat.
While driving with Aircon, the temperature is ok. However after driving a distance when the car stops the temperature moves up. I then turnoff the Aircon and the temperature comes down. However sometimes it does not. Last suggestion was to change the Aircon fan. Even after replacing the fan I am still having the same problem. Any help pls.
Robertpeters

Bad move with thermostat. It must be there and working. Did you have a leak down test done to be sure a head gasket was not damaged from overheating?

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Will ask my mechanic
To reinstate the thermostat. Also, if the head gasket is leaking, wouldn't I be losing water? I've made it a point to
Check on the water level every morning and have
Not had to fill up at all.

Robertpeters
Depends on how badly the gasket is leaking into the cylinders

Hi Roy
Yes, I guess it depends on the extent of damage, if any.
Does changing the gasket amount to a top overhaul?

Robertpeters
Pretty much. The head will have to plained and checked for cracks. Ake sure you use new head bolts.

Have a leak down test done first to confirm the gasket has failed

Do you mean a compression test?

Robertpeters
No, a leak down test. They inject air in to one cylinder at a time and watch for pressure loss and coolant movement in the radiator.

Oh. Ok.
Appreciate your kind assistance!
Cheers!

Robertpeters
Good luck