COULD FRONT-END COLLISION CAUSE FUEL PUMP FAILURE

2005 Hyundai Sonata • 75,000 miles

My wife ran into another car at about 10 mph. The auto body shop reported that the fuel pump needed to be replaced as a result. Another mechanic confirmed the need for replacement. Did the accident likely cause the failure? Obviously the car was driven to the scene of the accident.
Bm100456

The accident should have nothing to do with the fuel pump failing. If the pump had really failed, it is coincidence.

Since fuel pumps shut down in collisions for safety reasons, doesn't the possibility exist? For example, I'm told that GMC trucks have a problem with failed fuel pumps in collisions.

Bm100456
No, this make does not have any resetrelay switches. For safety reasons when engine stops, the fuel pump relay would be deactivated by the PCM and when the engine is back running, the fuel pump should work.

However if the fuel pump is not working, it might not be the fault of the fuel pump.
Air bag deployment etc can cause non starting until the PCM has been reset.