IS THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER RELATED TO THE TURBO?

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 41,000 miles

Hello, My 2005 pt cruiser convertible with only 41,000 miles on it had a problem, the catalytic converter failed and was already replaced by the dealer (warranty), but they informed me that now the turbo needs to be replaced, a mechanic told me that it should also be replaced by the dealer because it made the turbo go bad, is he right?
Thanks for your help. Luison.
Luison

No alot of things make a turbo go bad, not letting it cool down when you shut it off, using the wrong kind of engine oil etc. Not replacing the converter. Unless they broke bolts off wher ethe turbo is.

Thanks for the info.I only drove the car on the freeway one day when started loosing power and smoking real bad, then I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the converter. They say that is very uncommon that it happened. Is it true that is better to put synthetic oil?

Luison
Yes by all means use synthetic as it has a higher heat dissapation ratio than conventional oil. Also let your turbo idle for about a minute if you can before shutting it down, it lets it slow down so it doesn't have to starve for oil on shutdown.

Thanks again, The guy from chrysler still does not believe that turbo had nothing to do with the converter and he said that they will help me, that I have to pay 500.00 for copay and they will replace the turbo. What do you think? Problem is I dont even have the 500.00 Thanks.

Luison
Well they are giving you something and to get what you can out of them.